Applications Are Now Open for the VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (SPC)
The Vision Sciences Society welcomes applications for three vacancies on the VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee. Successful applicants will join the three continuing members of the current VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (SPC).
The mandate of the SPC is to share ideas and proposals about how VSS events, workshops, meeting structure and activities can best meet the needs of trainee members and early career researchers. The SPC participates in the design and operation of VSS events and workshops that are relevant to the needs and interests of early career researchers. Serving on the SPC, as well as facilitating or leading any resulting activities, are also useful professional experiences for the engaged trainees.
In the past year, SPC members contributed to the design and operation of conference events, including for the upcoming V-VSS 2021. They provided valuable advice and perspectives to the VSS Board about aspects of the conference and the organization that are relevant to trainees and early career researchers. Members of the SPC meet both independently and with VSS Board members several times per year. See Student Postdoc Events for descriptions of the events led by SPC at V-VSS 2020.
Membership is for a period of one year, beginning on the first day of the Annual Meeting, with the opportunity for appointment to a second year.
VSS wants to send its appreciation to the current Committee for their outstanding service in 2020/2021: Stacey Aston, Kathryn Bonnen, Matthew Boring, Cristina Ceja, Björn Jörges, and J. Brendan Ritchie (see Student Postdoc Advisory Committee)
VSS welcomes and actively seeks applications from students and postdoctoral members whose research spans the range of areas represented in the organization, and who reflect the global diversity and aspirations of the VSS membership.
Those interested in becoming members of the VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee should send the following information in a single PDF file:
- A one-page personal statement. This statement should summarize your reasons for wanting to serve on the SPC, any prior experience, or any aspects of your background that you feel is relevant to serving on the SPC;
- List of previous VSS conferences attended;
- Statement of intention to attend the VSS conference in 2021 and 2022 as a student/postdoc VSS member, as well as a statement that the applicant expects to retain status as either a student or postdoc for the 12 months following the 2021 conference;
- Names and contact information of two individuals who could provide letters of support for the nomination; and
- Current CV, including current affiliation and contact information.
Those who applied to the SPC last year are encouraged to resubmit this year if you are still a student or postdoctoral VSS member.
Applications Accepted: February 16, 2021
Applications Close: March 12, 2021
Committee Announced: April 15, 2021