There are currently over 3,600 members of VSS, representing a wide range of vision research areas. 50% of our members come from outside the United States, representing over 30 countries.
Membership in Vision Sciences Society is on a calendar year basis. Dues are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Remember, you MUST become a 2022 member to access our Online Abstract Submission form and submit an abstract for VSS 2022. All first authors MUST be current members in good standing.
VSS Membership is open to individuals with an interest in the field of vision sciences. Regular long-standing members of VSS who have retired may petition for Emeritus status by writing to the Society’s Executive Director. Membership fees are waived for Regular Members Emeritus.
2022 Membership Fees
Undergraduate Student Member $95
Graduate Student Member $120
Postdoctoral Member $170
Regular Member $275
All fees are in US Dollars.
- Eligible to submit abstracts as First Author and present research at the annual meeting (presented abstracts are published in the online Journal of Vision).
- Eligible to submit proposals for VSS-sponsored symposia at the annual meeting.
- Receive reduced meeting registration rates.
- Undergraduate and Graduate Students, Postdocs and Early Career Scientists are eligible to apply for Travel Awards.
- Regular members are eligible to vote in the Board of Directors election.
The Vision Sciences Society is now officially listed as an approved professional organization for the purposes of UK tax. This means that membership dues paid by UK taxpayers should be eligible for tax relief by HMRC.
Reduced Membership Policy
The Vision Sciences Society is committed to assist with costs of participating in the Society for researchers from countries with limited access to research support. As a policy, the Vision Sciences Society uses published data from the World Bank and from the Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) on countries’ Gross Domestic Expenditure in Research and Development to determine whether researchers qualify for reduced membership. Please contact the VSS administrator, Shauney Wilson, if you would like to request reduced membership on this basis.