The Vision Sciences Society welcomes applications for three vacancies on the VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee. Successful applicants will join the three continuing members of the current VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (SPC).
The mandate of the SPC is to share ideas and proposals about how VSS events, workshops, meeting structure and activities can best meet the needs of trainee members and early career researchers. The SPC participates in the design and operation of VSS events and workshops that are relevant to the needs and interests of early career researchers. Serving on the SPC, as well as facilitating or leading any resulting activities, are also useful professional experiences for engaged trainees.
In past years, SPC members contributed to VSS by designing and operating conference events directed to our trainees and early career researchers. They also provided valuable advice and perspectives to the VSS board about aspects of the conference and the organization that are relevant to these members. Members of the SPC meet both independently and with VSS board members. See https://www.visionsciences.org/2021-open-science-symposium/ for a description of an event led by SPC at V-VSS 2021
Membership is for a period of one year, beginning on the first day of the Annual Meeting, with the opportunity for appointment to a second year.
VSS wants to send its appreciation to the current board for their outstanding service in 2021/2022: Stacey Aston, Doug Addleman, Cristina Ceja, Sabrina Hansmann-Roth, Björn Jörges, and Takuma Morimoto (see https://www.visionsciences.org/spc/ ).
VSS welcomes and actively seeks applications from students and postdoctoral members whose research spans the range of areas represented in the organization, and who reflect the global diversity and aspirations of the VSS membership.
Those interested in becoming members of the VSS Student-Postdoctoral Advisory Committee should send the following information in a single PDF file:
- A one-page personal statement. This statement should summarize your reasons for wanting to serve on the SPC, any prior experience, or any aspects of your background that you feel is relevant to serving on the SPC
- List of previous VSS conferences attended
- Statement of intention to attend the VSS conference in 2022 and 2023 as a student/postdoc VSS member, as well as a statement that the applicant expects to retain status as either a student or postdoc for the 12 months following the 2022 conference
- Names and contact information of two individuals who could provide letters of support for the nomination
- Current CV, including current affiliation and contact information.
Application materials should be emailed to by March 1, 2023.
Those who applied to the SPC last year are encouraged to resubmit this year if you are still a student or postdoctoral VSS member.
Nominations Accepted: February 1, 2023
Nominations Close: March 1, 2023
Recipients Announced: April 15, 2023