Planning a Satellite Event for VSS 2024
A satellite is an event originated by VSS members or conference attendees that require venue facilities, publicity in VSS media, or coordination with VSS staff.
Examples include special interest groups, user groups, committee meetings, workshops, tutorials, social events, or scientific meetings. A Satellite Event can be open to all attendees or by invitation only.
Events intended for all VSS attendees may not overlap with any official VSS event. Time slots for satellites are listed below. Please note that your preferred slot may not necessarily be available. Scheduling is at the discretion of the VSS Board of Directors.
|Day||Time Slots Available|
|Saturday||12:30 – 2:30 pm|
|Sunday||12:30 – 2:30 pm, 7:30 – 10:00 pm|
|Monday||2:00 – 5:30 pm|
|Tuesday||12:30 – 2:30 pm, 7:30 – 10:00 pm|
All satellites must be approved by VSS. An application form must be completed and submitted by January 10, 2024.
Approved satellite events will be scheduled in February and organizers of accepted events will be notified thereafter. Listing of Satellite Events in VSS media is at the discretion of VSS.
Fees for satellite events are $500. For non-commercial VSS members who are not charging for satellite registration, fees are reduced to $200.
Organizers are responsible for the costs of food and A/V. VSS staff are solely responsible for coordinating and arranging the food, A/V, room assignment, and promotion in VSS media (program, website, and signage). Please check with VSS if you have any questions. Any changes to the arrangements or late special requests may incur an additional fee.
- Organizers must be members of VSS and registered for the meeting.
- Commercial companies interested in organizing a Satellite Event must be a VSS 2024 sponsor. VSS welcomes sponsors. For information about sponsorship opportunities, contact .
- Work directly with the VSS Executive Director or designated staff regarding all event logistics.
- State clearly in all communications about the event, including written materials and emails, that the Satellite Event is neither sponsored nor endorsed by VSS.
- Announce at the beginning of the event that the event is not sponsored or endorsed by VSS.
- Assume full financial responsibility for food/beverage services and equipment ordered (including setup and tear down labor, room rental, and reset fees, if applicable). A deposit to VSS may be required at least one week prior to the event.
- Obtain additional liability insurance and/or permits (if necessary).
- Order miscellaneous items, except those requested on the standard form (i.e., audiovisual, staging, etc.), from VSS vendors, unless given written permission by the VSS Executive Director.
- Use services only from VSS’s official vendors, unless given written permission by the VSS Executive Director.
- Remove all signage and meeting materials (e.g., handouts) from assigned rooms at the event’s conclusion and agree to pay any cleaning fee resulting from use of the space.
- Adhere to the VSS Code of Conduct as established by the VSS Board of Directors.
- Demonstrations, displays, and/or marketing or distribution of commercial products is not permitted during Satellite Events. Event speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations.
- Promotional literature advertising the Satellite Event may not be distributed as door drops in hotels, unless given written permission by the VSS Executive Director. Satellite Event organizers may not conduct drawings or award gifts to meeting attendees, unless given written permission by the VSS Executive Director.
- Organizers cannot use the VSS acronym in website URLs, unless given written permission by the VSS Executive Director.
- No recording without permission.
Applications Accepted: November 15, 2023
Applications Deadline: January 10, 2024
Please use our online Satellite Event Request Form to submit the details of your satellite event.