Each year, VSS grants up to 20 Student Travel Awards for excellent contributions from graduate students. Awards of $500 are given to eligible students on a competitive basis to help defray the cost of attending the annual meeting.
Guidelines for Applications
To be considered, each applicant must be the first author of a submitted abstract (both talks and poster presentations are eligible) and a current 2017 student member of VSS. Past award recipients are not eligible. You must indicate that you are applying for a Student Travel Award when you submit your abstract.
- When submitting your abstract, check the box indicating you are applying for a Student Travel Award. (The abstract submission deadline is December 6, 2016, midnight, latest time zone on earth.)
- You (the applying student) must submit to a single PDF file containing the following information:
- Personal Information – Include your Name, Affiliation, Email, Phone, Current degree program (BA/BSc, MA/MSc, PhD), and Advisor’s Name.
- Abstract Information – Include the title of your submitted abstract and list all authors.
- An Applicant’s Statement – In 250 words or less, please explain the significance and potential impact of the research findings you plan to present at this year’s VSS conference.
- Curriculum Vitae – Include a copy of your CV.
- Your advisor(s) must submit a separate Statement of Support. Download the PDF or Word file and submit to .
Awards will be determined by the VSS Executive Board based on an assessment of the applicant’s submission, the advisor’s statement, and on the merit of the work to be presented. All competing abstracts will be scored by the Abstract Review Committee.
Travel Awards Deadlines
First Day to Apply: October 12, 2016
Last Day to Apply: December 6, 2016
Supporting Documentation Deadline: December 6, 2016
Recipients will be Notified: February 16, 2017