Planning a Satellite Event for VSS 2015
Workshops or other ancillary events (e.g. meetings, socials, etc) which VSS annual-meeting attendees may attend, but which are not planned or sponsored by VSS, can be designated VSS Satellite Events if they are organized according to the following rules.
Satellite Events include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Scientific Events - Any event where scientific/educational programming is being presented (e.g., special interest groups, user’s groups, workshops).
- Meetings - Meetings of committees, exhibitor staff, or department staff.
- Social Events - Receptions, dinners, alumni events, reunions, parties and specialty groups where there is no educational/scientific program presented. Social events can be held in conjunction with a workshop or independently.
Except for Meetings, Satellite Events that are intended for attendees of the VSS meeting may not overlap in time with official VSS programming, and thus the time slots available for Satellite Events other than Meetings are limited. Satellite Events can either be intended for all attendees or be by invitation for a subset of meeting attendees.
The application deadline for Satellite Event requests is
Friday, February 13. Approval of Satellite Events is at the sole discretion of VSS. Listing of Satellite Events in the program or on the VSS website is at the sole discretion of VSS.
All VSS satellites are required to pay a satellite fee of $300 to VSS.
This covers promoting your event and limited coordination between event
organizer and the hotel staff (for catering and A/V). If additional event
planning is required, please contact the
VSS office for a quote.
Requirements for Organizers
- Normally the organizer of a Satellite Event should be a member of VSS who is registered for the meeting. However, an exhibitor at the meeting can hold small meetings without a member sponsor.
- Commercial companies interested in organizing a Satellite Event during the annual meeting must exhibit at the meeting.
If your event is approved, you must
- Work directly with the VSS executive director or designated staff regarding all event logistics (direct contact with the conference venue or hotel is not permitted).
- Adhere to all VSS policies and procedures.
- Adhere to hotel or venue policies and procedures.
- State clearly in all communications about the event, including written materials and emails, that the Satellite Event is neither sponsored nor endorsed by VSS.
- Announce at the beginning of the event that the event is not sponsored or endorsed by VSS.
- Assume full financial responsibility for food/beverage services and equipment ordered (including setup and teardown labor, and room rental and reset fees
if applicable), for which a deposit to VSS may be required at least 1 week prior to the event.
- Obtain additional liability insurance and/or permits (if necessary).
- Order miscellaneous items, except those requested on the standard form (i.e., audiovisual, staging, etc.), from VSS vendors, unless given written permission by the VSS executive director.
- Use services from only VSS's official vendors, unless given written permission by the VSS executive director.
- Supply the signage for the event (signs may be placed only outside the door entrance to the event -- directional signage is prohibited).
- Remove all signage and meeting materials (e.g., handouts) from assigned rooms at the event's conclusion, and agree to pay any cleaning fee resulting from use of the space.
- Demonstrations and/or displays of commercial products and/or literature are not permitted during Satellite Events. Distribution of commercial products and product literature is prohibited during Satellite Events as well. Satellite Event speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations, but a complete demonstration or display of the product is not permitted.
- Promotional literature advertising the Satellite Event may not be distributed as door drops in hotels, unless given written permission by the VSS executive director. Satellite Event organizers may not conduct drawings or award gifts to meeting attendees, unless given written permission by the VSS executive director.
- Organizers cannot use the VSS acronym in Web site URLs or in e-mail subject lines, unless given written permission by the VSS executive director.
How to Make a Satellite Event Request
Please use our online Satellite Event Request Form to submit the details of your satellite event.